Wednesday, August 1, 2012

To Blog, or Not To Blog: It’s a Question

Okay, so I think we all know the answer, and that is to blog, because obviously I am blogging RIGHT NOW, and also my blog is all fancy and new-looking. But bear with me, because I’m still asking myself The Question: To Blog or Not To Blog?

Up to now this blog (formerly known as The Yellow Car Chronicles) has been mostly about my adventures in touring, which is why there are a huge amount of blogposts from the summer of 2010 when Mark and I drove to Denver and back, and very few blogposts during the summer of 2011 when I was ginormously pregnant and spending every day holed up in my studio working to finish The Rocky Road Trip before giving birth (and with my editor Maggie as my witness, I handed in the final edits at the last possible minute before heading to the hospital). So the blog has been, at best, spotty.

“THIS IS TERRIBLE!” My new publicist screamed at me while brandishing several medieval weapons, “You are a super-inconsistent blogger! THIS WILL NOT STAND!!!” Her name is Morgan and she seems like a smart and lovely person, but for the sake of my own amusement I’ve decided to portray her as a screamy potentially violent madwoman. “BAD AUTHOR! BAD AUTHOR!!!”

“But I don’t know what to write about!” I whimpered while cowering in a corner that was no doubt dungeony and full of spiders. “All I do all day is write and draw and take care of my baby and listen to National Public Radio and talk on the phone with my dad. Please don’t hurt me.”

The reasons I’ve never felt comfortable writing about my daily life are:

A.     It could be super boring
B.     It could also be super duper boring
C.     It could be crazy embarrassing to my daughter in thirteen years (ex. Yesterday she pulled down my shirt, shoved her face into my chest, and barfed)
D.    Without guidance, I could easily just write down a series of ridiculous conversations with my dad where he yells a lot (not because he’s angry, but because he’s just naturally really loud)

I’m also always a little worried about coming off like kind of a butthead. Hey, read what I wrote, I’m a Big Important Author so my thoughts are like precious jewels. Come gather round and be dazzled by my sparkling jewel-thoughts!

But Morgan has been working really hard to make the blog pretty. She’s helped me to come up with interesting blog topics, and also she can shoot lasers out of her eyes, so I’m going to make a genuine effort to blog on a regular basis. Here are my rules:

1.     I’ll try really hard not to be a butthead.

2.     I’ll try not to blather on about my kid too much, because she has a right to privacy, even though it’s really tempting to post a picture of her every day because she’s seriously crazy cute.

3.     I’ll try to be a really good blogger and write good posts because my readers are worth it.

To do all this (particularly #3) I need help. What would you like to know about? What would you like me to blog about? This is interactive! LET’S DO THIS THING.

LET THE BLOGGING…REBEGIN!

(That’s a word, right? It is now.)
 

5 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you're blogging again. No worries on you ever being a butthead, and if things devolve into "the time my daughter barfed down my shirt" stories, I'll be glad to add my contributions, too. :-) (And then the two girls can gather together when they're 14 and talk about how awful a mom we both are....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. give us more daily funnies. just you and your voice will be perfecto. thanks for rebeginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Witnessed!

    Here are my requested topics: Broadway musicals, the leitmotif of toilets in the Popularity Papers series, how to draw like Lydia, pictures of the wee one, and whatever else strikes your fancy. (Pictures of the wee one are always appreciated... by me, at least.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend and I have a theory: Anyone on guard for buttheadedness never ends up being a butthead. It's the unguarded ones who are in danger of this. Or so we hope.

    All of which is to say, your re-begun blog looks great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post. thanks for sharing... keep up writing such good blog.


    good research paper topics

    ReplyDelete