Sunday, August 12, 2012

PP5 Progress Report (wee hours edition)


Emails from fans RULE. Really, if someone had told me a five years ago that I’d be receiving amazing fanmail from all over the world on a regular basis I probably would freaked out and screamed, “HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS? ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE? African-American president? For real? TELL ME WHO WINS THE 2008 WORLD SERIES!!!”

But that time-traveler/soothsayer would have been right, and I’m still amazed every time someone takes the effort to send me a fabulous paragraph about how they’ve enjoyed The Popularity Papers. It’s really gratifying.

As of late most of the emails have been asking the same thing—

Is there going to be a fifth Popularity Papers book?

I sure hope so, or else all the work I’ve done over the past eight months will have been completely in vain. YES YES YES, there is going to be a fifth Popularity Papers book!!

Yay! Great!!! Now we are happy. When is it coming out?

In Spring of 2013.

Hooray! When in Spring of 2013?

I’m not totally certain.

How can you not be totally certain?

Because it’s stupid o’clock in the morning and my brain isn’t working properly.

You should really get some sleep. You’ve been looking a little peaked.

I know, I know.

Maybe some warm milk?

Eww.

Hey, we were just trying to be helpful. So are you done writing the book? If we sneaked into your house and stole your computer and went through your files, could we read it?

I’m mostly done—there will probably be another round or two of edits to make sure that everything makes sense and that I’ve spelled everything correctly. Because the Popularity Papers is written entirely by hand every time I spell something wrong I have to correct it in Photoshop. It takes a while to make certain everything is perfect.

Also, don’t break into my house and steal my computer and go through my files.

Okay, we won’t. So what’s the name of the new book?

I don’t know yet.

The Popularity Papers 5: I Don’t Know Yet with Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang? That’s…a little weird. We probably have to read the book to understand it?

No, no, no, I mean that I haven’t come up with a name for the book yet.

So you don’t know exactly when the book is coming out and you don’t know what the book is called. Are you sure there’s actually going to be a 5th book?

Yes! I promise. I’ve been working really hard on it and I’m really excited about it, and trust me, I will post it to this blog the moment that I’ve decided on a title.

Well, if you promise. You should try to go back to sleep now.

Okay, I will. Do you think warm rice milk will taste okay?

Go to sleep!

I love my fans. You guys are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment